Gosh, has it really been a year since I’ve photographed this lil’ guy? Time sure does fly by fast! Happy 1st Birthday Mr. M; hope to see you soon for one year portraits!
Oh this little girl was something else! She did not want to go to sleep; there was just too much going on around her. With her gorgeous red hair and a spunky personality to boot, this little girl is gonna keep her Momma and Daddy on their toes for sure. We started outside where I thought (as with more newborns) she would enjoy the warmth, but she really wasn’t having it. Her momma and I started calling her Houdini because no matter how snug I wrapped and swaddled her, she would stretch her little arms out and escape. Despite her being the wiggle worm she was, I love how the green grass and burgundy pop off her porcelain skin.
Next we all went back inside, and there, this little sweetheart finally settled in for those snuggly newborn shots! Love her full cheeks and oh man, that red hair – so beautiful!
And then wouldn’t you know it, with one quick backdrop change (and a big sneeze), she was awake again, wondering what all the excitement and fussy was about.
Yep Yep!! It’s that time of year – time for Fall Mini Sessions. The weather is cooling off, thank goodness, and with all the recent rains, everything is still green and pretty (unlike last year’s drought). These mini sessions will be scheduled for one weekend only – October 13th and 14th. I also have a limited number of sessions I can take each day, so don’t delay, the time slots will book fast!
Contact me to request your session: firstname.lastname@example.org
A little of this, a little of that – just a few tidbits that are going on over at the Rae of Light Photography office.
1. Just as a reminder to all my clients and soon to be clients that I am booking up for the holidays already. I have a TON of Sept dates left, but for October, I only have 2 weekend spots left and November is looking pretty sparse for weekend sessions too. I do have quite a few weekday spots open if you can come on a Monday – Friday morning. <—– And if you can do weekday mornings, then you might want to consider my newest session – The Simple Session which runs $75 for up to 3 people!
2. School is in full swing and the kids are finally back on a great schedule. Homework however, is getting the best of me. Keeping up with 3 children’s work and assignments, and when they are due…. uhm, yea, totally wiping me out. I’ve gotta find a way to keep the who’s who in homework organized.
3. Seems like Ashton’s love of reading has returned (somewhat). We had a difficult time with him last year. He was such an avid reader in Kindergarten, but in first grade his frustration was building. But now, slowly, he is starting to find his love for reading again. I captured this sweet shot of him getting his daily 20 minute read in with a certain attentive listener in his lap. BTW, I LOVE Frog and Toad books. They were my favorite as a kid, and Ashton loves them too!
4. Both boys are full swing into baseball now. Gavin is really excelling this year and has improved so much from last year’s season. He is not afraid to catch the ball and amazingly can throw really far with his skinny ole arms! I couldn’t help snapping a few fun photos of Gavin’s baseball practice the other day. He and Daddy were making fun of me because I was rolling around in the grass trying to get a great shot. Anything for a great shot right?
Ashton, who is built like a brick house, uh, not so much! He tries really, really hard, but his attention span is about a long as a toothpick! He is the typical little boy in left field picking flowers. We hope that someday everything will click and he will find his love of the game. If not, we might consider football.
5. Teagan is doing great in school, except for the fact that she keeps talking in class…. and throwing rocks at little boys. I think scholastically, she’s ready, socially, not so much. I guess you can’t blame her, she has been at home with me since she was born and has never been in daycare. I keep reminding myself that this will pass and hopefully she will settle into the classroom routine and rules. She did loses her 4th tooth the other day which gives her the cutest little “window” in her mouth. Oh yea, and that hair! Lord help me! This is so typical Teggies! Her hair is a big ole mess most days. Reminds me of the girl in Judy Moody which makes me laugh because her hair was all over the place too!
6. Finally, I don’t think I have posted this here (I know I have on Facebook), but I have opened up an Etsy shop! Fun huh?I have started crocheting newborn/baby hats and bonnets for photographers. I offer a variety of colors and styles; some hats come with stretchy swaddling wraps. I just added, today no less, a new headband too! I love it and have really enjoyed getting my craft on! Check it out, it’s called Rae of Light Designs!
I was in desperate need of a haircut, desperate I tell ya! My last scheduled hair appointment I had to reschedule due to a floor in our master bathroom that not only flooded the bathroom but the bedroom and walk-in closet. Fast forward a couple of months, and for Mother’s Day my sweet hubby had planned on taking me in to get my hair done again, and wouldn’t you know it, our refrigerator went out which we ended up having to get repaired (thank goodness we didn’t have to purchase a new one). But still, a good chunk of change had to go to repairs. It’s funny with women (and maybe with men too, I don’t know) but when finances get tight usually the first thing to go is hair, nails, makeup, and clothes. We do without and that’s ok, but I tell you what, after having my hair done and realizing how great I felt (and still feel) afterwards, it’s worth every penny. I knew as soon as I got home from the hair dresser, I needed to get a new self portrait done and just in time for our Self Portrait X12 project!
I have a sneaky suspicion that is what happens with photography as well. When things get tight, photography becomes a luxury. But I believe, that it is something worth saving for and in years to come, photos will become priceless to you! I hope that when you look at your portraits from me that it makes you feel great and puts a smile on your face.
Next stop on this project train is Jessica Engert of Laughinghouse Photography in Orlando, Florida. Her beach photos remind me of our vacation this past July. <—- which reminds me, I need to get those images edited!